NATWA Single Mother Student Scholarship
This scholarship was established in November 2000 from a generous donation by Ms. Sadako Chiu. She was raised by a single mother, Mrs. Yu Chen. Ms. Chiu saw first-hand what hardship single mothers had to sustain. This NATWA Single-Mother-Student Scholarship offers $1,000 for each of two students currently enrolled in a university or two-year college (also a single-mother) who has demonstrated outstanding achievement in her activities in school, the community or the workplace. The scholarship is sponsored by NATWA (North America Taiwanese Women’s Association); scholarship funding for the year of 2014 is donated by Mrs. Shon Yang.
• Be a single mother and a student, regardless of age and race.
• Be a full-time student currently enrolled in an accredited two-year or four–year college or university in the United States/ Canada by fall 2015.
• Be ambitious and motivated, as evidenced by achievement in school, community or work activities.
• Be recommended by two unrelated adults who can attest to the student’s achievement. The recommendation letter should be mailed to the scholarship committee directly by the person who wrote the letter.
• Submit official current school transcript of grades. The minimum GPA requirement is 2.5 or equivalent of 62.5% in Canada.
• Submit two essays: 1) My Future Planning, 2) What I know about Taiwan. (500-1000 words for each essay)
To apply, complete the application form, two required essays and have two unrelated adult mail in the recommendation letters direct. Mail the completed, signed application with a current, complete official transcript of grades to:
SMS Scholarship Committee
711 Crestview Dr.
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
Applications and all other requirements must be mailed and postmarked to SMS Scholarship Committee by March 15, 2016. On line transcripts and grade reports are not acceptable.
Applicants will be notified in mid-April. Only one applicant will be selected as recipient.
All applicants agree that decisions of NATWA SMS Scholarship Committee are final.
Payment of scholarships
Payments will be made on August 15, 2016 and mailed to the recipient’s home address. Checks will be made payable to the school for the recipient’s account.
The recipient is required to notify NATWA SMS Scholarship Committee of changes of address, school enrollment, or other relevant information.